Introduction

Hi, Thanks for viewing my blog. It lets me have a rant and I may even help someone along the way. Got the idea to do a blog following using an Arthritis Forum for the first time at www.arthritiscare.org.uk

I suffer from Psoriatic Arthritis which is very demanding in all aspects of my life and this is my story on how I deal with it on a day to day basis.

I have been spending lots of time recently researching arthritis and pregnancy, there isnt loads of information out there and the most helpful thing i have found to date is forums and hearing other peoples story. This just confirms to me why I am 'blogging', if someone like me wants to know they are not on their own.

Sunday 27 November 2011

The Big Fight

How I love the weekends, but why do I find it so impossible to sit and do nothing. I don't like letting the arthritis dictate what I can and can't do - its done that so much lately; so this weekend I decided to fight it even more than usual. Ask my husband and he'll just say its me being stubborn.

As it was my dad's birthday we celebrated Friday night by going out for a meal and as he loves karaoke I suggested going on to a pub for this (nothing to do with the fact that i love karaoke!). It was really nice being out and being awake past 9pm and as it took me nearly 4 hours to shower, wash my hair, dry my hair, make up and get dressed it had to be done! Apart from the pain and having to alternate between standing and sitting for the entire night I actually felt closer to my age and less guilty than I usually do. Why am I guilty? Well I'm 25 and hubby is only 26 but has to look after me a lot and my arthritis limits what we do, so we spend a lot of time at home. It was really nice to see him enjoying himself and he even got up and sang - I was so proud.

I woke up saturday no more achy than usual so I was pretty pleased with that I just felt quite tired but it was to be expected having a late night and then struggling to sleep next to the snoring husband and dog! Yay one night of the fight quite successful. A visit to the parents and then Tesco for our shopping, using the trolley to keep me on my feet rather than the stick - quite a novelty! This was then followed by a restful afternoon watching a film before starting the task which exhausts me most, getting ready to go out again, it didnt take as long as my hair was sorted from the day before. Then off to sudbury for my friends engagment party. We were talking and isnt it funny how quickly things can fall into place, only three years ago we were sitting at uni getting fed up with the men which were in (or more often in my case out) of our lives and wondering if we would ever be lucky in love. Look at us now, me married, her engaged and nearly qualified as a teacher which we both wanted. I took one look at her last night with her future husband and all I could do was smile. It so nice to see such an amazing friend as happy as I am.

Unfortunately the 40 minute drive hurt and after an hour of being at the party I was aching all over and my body was crying out for my bed. It was a good fight this weekend but the arthritis was really going for a knock out. I crashed as soon as my head hit the pillow and had a relatively good sleep and then woke up this morning and the pain hit again. Swelling in my hands and fingers making it so painful just to grip and my body feeling bruised all over.

Stubborn as always I will not let it stop me, so up we get to carry on with todays plans. I have some over the knee toe socks which I have wanted to wear all week but due to the tightness of the material I cant get them on myself but today I got them on. Admittedly my husband put them on for me, but none the less they are on my feet as i type. A visit to the inlaws and then Sainsburys to pick up a few bits we couldnt get at Tesco. I was walking around hanging on to Hubby's arm and felt a little like a zombie and again felt bad for him. This time to the point that I had to ask him if he ever gets embarassed at how slow I walk and how I struggle. His answer, 'no, your height is the only thing which bothers me sometimes because I feel like a giant.' I cant believe thats all he is worried about when I am like this, what more can I ask for? If he is a giant he is definitely my gentle giant!

I have now just finished making a batch of cakes and releasing my inner child; getting in a mess with the icing and sprinkles and licking the remains of icing from the bowl. My biggest frustration of the weekend was not being able to even make cakes by myself, needing help to beat the mixture because of the weakness in my wrists. Grrrr! I'm going to put this fight down to a draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment