Introduction

Hi, Thanks for viewing my blog. It lets me have a rant and I may even help someone along the way. Got the idea to do a blog following using an Arthritis Forum for the first time at www.arthritiscare.org.uk

I suffer from Psoriatic Arthritis which is very demanding in all aspects of my life and this is my story on how I deal with it on a day to day basis.

I have been spending lots of time recently researching arthritis and pregnancy, there isnt loads of information out there and the most helpful thing i have found to date is forums and hearing other peoples story. This just confirms to me why I am 'blogging', if someone like me wants to know they are not on their own.

Thursday 17 November 2011

Excited about the prick I used to dread...

Yay!!! The blood testing kit is here and the baby journey finally seems like it is beginning.

So I used to dread blood tests, and not because of the discomfort I am used to that. I think it is more the process of sticking a needle into me and draining my insides.  Although thinking back I think it is actually more of a fear thing - when I was in hospital as a teen doctors tried to get my blood and just made a complete hash up of it. Then on one occasion they got a child's phlebotomist to attempt to take my blood, no gloves, blood spurting out everywhere all over the floor; somewhat resembling a crime scene. Difficult veins apparently?!? I eventually found an amazing lady which could take my blood easily at my surgery, I didn't trust anyone else to the point that when she was on maternity leave I avoided having my bi-weekly blood tests. Think I managed to go 8 months before the surgery dragged me in. I then met another phlebotomist at my surgery who managed to get something out of my veins but reverted back to the other one once she returned. Unfortunately not long after her return she chose to leave but at a similar time I began taking Enbrel, an injection treatment requiring self administered injection weekly. OK?!? Needle phobic, scared much? Err YES! I got over it though and before coming off my meds in August I was administering my injections without anyone being with me. That was a huge step for me. So the other lady which managed to get my bloods is now my phlebotomist - it is surprising how much trust you put in one person. She has gone out of her way to arrange my 'special' blood test TOMORROW; so you can find a jem in the NHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment