Introduction

Hi, Thanks for viewing my blog. It lets me have a rant and I may even help someone along the way. Got the idea to do a blog following using an Arthritis Forum for the first time at www.arthritiscare.org.uk

I suffer from Psoriatic Arthritis which is very demanding in all aspects of my life and this is my story on how I deal with it on a day to day basis.

I have been spending lots of time recently researching arthritis and pregnancy, there isnt loads of information out there and the most helpful thing i have found to date is forums and hearing other peoples story. This just confirms to me why I am 'blogging', if someone like me wants to know they are not on their own.

Wednesday 17 July 2013

The BEST Medicine

A well overdue instalment to my blog. Who knew how busy a baby keeps you?

Well I am enjoying every second of being a mummy, and my little boy is going to be 6 months next week. The time really does fly. He is rolling over, sitting up and not far away from crawling or cutting his first tooth.

So, the flare settled down, and whilst I was no means pain free I was able to push myself through every day. I want so much to be able to avoid the drugs after the damage they done to my body. I met with the physiotherapist as this is one of the things I have requested to try; the medication really is a last resort! When I met with her I had started flaring again, and hydrotherapy was also suggested. To date I have had 2 hydro sessions, the flare started to settle but BOOM!!! I am officially in agony again. My little boy really is ‘the BEST medicine’, I can’t just give up, and he gives me a reason to get out of bed every morning.

Last night was the first time that the pain has really got to me in a long time. My joints felt like they were on fire and as though someone had taken a sledgehammer to them. Pain is so hard to describe. I laid in bed on my memory foam mattress and it felt as though I was lying on a bed of stones. The pain had me sobbing, this does not happen very often and I feel somewhat disappointed that I have let it get to me. But the sobbing was a combination from the excruciating pain and the frustration of this horrible disease. It has been suggested by my rheumatologist that as well as the arthritis I am likely to have fibromyalgia, I’m currently waiting a referral to pain management.

I have however, throughout my sleepless night made the decision to call rheumatology and request some help, probably a steroid injection. I reacted badly to this before, by going numb all over but it did take some of the pain away. I have to think about my little man now too and I NEED to be able to look after him. I would prefer this to be as comfortable as possible. So I have an appointment at 11am on Friday. I still want to avoid continuous medication but I am at the point where I need some relief. Hopefully, with this, physio, hydro and pain management I will be able to find new ways to deal with it.

As from day one, I hope this blog helps people to understand the condition. I wish people would be less ignorant, whilst I have learnt to ignore the looks and comments when I park in a disabled space, my husband finds this really frustrating, I tell him it is just ignorance. On the outside, I’m young and healthy looking, but you should never judge a book by its cover. Believe me; if they want to park in the disabled bays I would be more than willing to give them this, the catch, they would need to take this horrible disease too. I don’t think I’d have any takers somehow! These little things just make day to day things people take for granted just that little bit easier for me.


Now my little boy is in a better routine hopefully I will be able to update you all more frequently, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment